Love the taste of egg rolls but can do without all the grease? Try Egg Roll In A Bowl! This easy low carb version of the Chinese menu staple has all the flavor and texture of an egg roll, but without the calories or messy cleanup.
Made with either ground chicken or pork and fresh veggies, this recipe pulls together all the umami and spice flavors of Asia that we’ve grown to love, including ginger, soy and sriracha sauces. If this Egg Roll Bowl tantalizes your taste buds, you will also love Low Carb Pork and Cabbage Skillet or Cauliflower Fried Rice.
© Easy Low Carb.com
Egg Roll In A Bowl
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
What Is Egg Roll In A Bowl?
Forget the oily mess of deep frying or struggling with egg roll wrappers. Egg Roll In A Bowl uses neither! Instead, it involves cooking everything that would normally go inside an egg roll in a skillet or wok. Pile it into a salad bowl and serve. Keto dieters love it!
The key ingredients you will need to make this Egg Roll Bowl are:
- Meat: Ground chicken or pork
- Veggies: Broccoli slaw and diced onion
- Aromatics: ginger and garlic
- Sauce: Soy and Sriracha sauces
- Garnish: Sesame seeds and green onion
Get creative and make your own unique Egg Roll Bowl!
- Try sliced shiitake mushrooms, bean sprouts, shredded bok choi, broccoli florets or julienned carrots.
- You could also use a mild fish in place of the ground meat or imitation crab sticks.
- Other optional add-ins include peanuts, cubed tofu, water chestnuts or bamboo sprouts.
How To Make It
Egg Roll In A Bowl is a quick and easy one-pot meal. Follow these 3 simple steps and you’ll have dinner on the table in no time.
- Brown the ground pork or chicken with garlic, onion, and ginger (see recipe below).
- Stir in broccoli slaw and add the remaining ingredients.
- Place in a serving bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onion.
For pure convenience, you can’t beat bagged broccoli slaw, but you can make your own too.
How To Make Broccoli Slaw
Most grocery stores now sell premade broccoli slaw. But keep in mind whenever buying fresh whole broccoli stems that you can make your own too. It’s a good habit to get into for anyone who wants to minimize waste and stretch their food budget.
For best results when making broccoli slaw, remove the tough peel that is near the cut end of the stalk and use only the tender interior.
- Cut the broccoli crown from the stalk and trim the end.
- Using a paring knife, carefully cut away the toughest peel, starting from the bottom and working toward the crown. The peel nearest the crown end can remain.
Grate, chop or julienne for use in a stir-fry, slaw or egg roll in a bowl.
What To Serve With It
Serve this delightful Asian stir fry with plain or fried rice, glass noodles or ramen. Punch it up by sprinkling with chopped peanuts or fried noodles to give it a little texture and crunch.
More Delicious Low Carb Ideas!
- Fried Cabbage with Bacon – love bacon!
- Low Carb Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce – a twist on a classic!
- Bacon Wrapped Cabbage – so easy
- Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry! – an Asian inspired meal
- Eggplant Lasagna – deliciously different!
Easy one-pot meal made with ground meat, veggies, and an Asian inspired sauce. All the egg roll flavor without the calories.
- 1 lb ground pork or chicken
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger
- 1/2 onion diced
- 10 oz broccoli slaw
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 1 green onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds toasted
Brown ground meat, garlic, ginger and onion until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Stir in broccoli slaw and cook 5 minutes.
- Whisk soy sauce, sriracha, pepper and sesame oil until smooth. Add to broccoli and cook an additional 3-5 minutes or until tender.
- Top with green onion and sesame seeds.
Nutrition was calculated using ground chicken.