A Cheesy Taco Skillet like this one is a delicious way to enjoy taco night without the carbs!
This skillet recipe is loaded with seasoned ground beef, colorful bell peppers and cauliflower rice. It’s all simmered in a light, southwestern salsa sauce, then sprinkled with cheese and baked to cheesy perfection. This taco skillet is definitely a low carb and keto winner all year long!
Cheesy Taco Skillet
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your MAIN DISH Board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Taco Skillet Recipe
- This skillet recipe is so popular because it’s so quick and easy to prepare. It goes from the stovetop to the tabletop in one pan. All of the ingredients of a taco casserole in a guilt-free low-carb version!
- Potluck and party-ready, cheesy taco skillet is always a crowd favorite. Serve with bowls of low-carb toppings like salsa, sour cream, or guacamole.
- Prep ahead and eat all week for dinners and workday lunches. Scoop into a low-carb wrap for a portable meal on the go!
What is in A Taco Skillet?
Taco skillet has all the fresh and flavorful ingredients of a homemade taco casserole, with room for ingredients switches and mix-ins!
BEEF – Ground beef is a keto favorite because it’s a good source of protein and easy to season. Ground or shredded chicken or turkey will work, too. Even leftover steak or pork can be used.
VEGETABLES – Bell peppers are colorful, healthy, and nutritious. Onions, mushrooms, spinach, kale, and zucchini are all keto veggies that will add flavor to the taco skillet.
SEASONINGS – Why buy it when you can make it? These seasoning blends are super easy to make and can be used in so many recipes! Try this homemade Keto Taco Seasoning Recipe or a Southwest Seasoning. Don’t forget, salsas and hot sauces like Tabasco are low carb, too!
Let’s Make It!
It doesn’t get any easier than this:
- Brown and drain ground beef.
- Stir in seasonings, water, and salsa. Cook until thickened (as per recipe below).
- Add cauliflower rice, peppers, and jalapeno. When peppers are tender, stir in cilantro.
- Top with cheese and place under the broiler until the cheese is browned and bubbly.
Keep leftover cheesy taco skillet covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freeze portions in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 4 weeks. NOTE: Cauliflower rice will be soft once it’s thawed, it’s wise to add fresh cauliflower rice when reheating.
Other Low Carb Dinner Ideas!
- Skillet Chicken and Mushrooms – just 15 minute prep!
- Pizza Bowl Recipe – for lunch, snack or dinner.
- Low Carb Pork and Cabbage Skillet – quick and easy.
- Low Carb Enchiladas – a favorite.
- Easy Stir Fry Chicken and Vegetables – a meal in 15 minutes.
Cheesy Taco Skillet
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- ¼ cup onion finely diced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning homemade is best
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup salsa
- 3 cups cauliflower rice
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup shredded pepper jack cheese or cheddar cheese
- toppings as desired lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, olives, avocado, sour cream, jalapenos, cilantro
- Brown beef and onion until no pink remains. Drain fat.
- Stir in cumin, taco seasoning, water, and salsa. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until liquid has evaporated.
- Add cauliflower rice, bell peppers, and jalapeno. Cook until peppers are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro.
- Top with cheese and place under the broiler 2-3 minutes or until browned.
- Serve with toppings as desired.
- Nutrition is calculated does not include optional toppings.
- Refrigerate this taco skillet covered for up to 3 days.
- Freeze portions in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 4 weeks.
- NOTE: Cauliflower rice will become soft once it’s thawed, so add fresh cauliflower rice when reheating.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.