Make this easy and quick Caprese salad recipe for a colorful summertime dish!
This salad has fresh and colorful ingredients like juicy tomatoes, creamy mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil leaves with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
It’s the best lunch or suppertime side dish. Delicious and delightfully low-carb!
Easy Caprese Salad
- With ingredients that can be found all year round, keto-friendly Caprese salad is always a fresh way to add color and flavor to any dish!
- Super versatile! Caprese salad can be used as a topping over a bed of salad greens (no dressing necessary!), or topped on a roasted chicken breast, low-carb crackers, or toasted cloud bread.
Ingredients for Caprese Salad
Tomatoes – Vine-ripened or farmer’s market fresh tomatoes have the best flavors, but any variety will do. Roma tomatoes are good choices because they are firm and meaty. Experiment with multi-colored grape or cherry tomatoes for an exceptional Caprese salad presentation!
Cheese – Fresh mozzarella is soft and comes shaped like a small log, or tennis-ball sized, or in mini balls called bocconcini. Any will work! Try some extra rich and tangy burrata instead of mozzarella, if you like.
Variations – Diced avocado, sliced strawberries (in moderation), chopped kalamata olives, diced red onions, or even a dash of basil pesto sauce will add new layers of flavor to Caprese salad!
How to Make Caprese Salad
- Arrange sliced tomatoes and mozzarella with basil leaves on a serving dish (per recipe below).
- Drizzle with olive oil and then balsamic vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!
How to Store
For best results, enjoy Caprese salad as soon as it’s made or make up to a day ahead and chill it in the refrigerator. Store leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and drain before using again. Use up leftovers in a Denver omelet, or add them to a zucchini pasta salad.
Low Carb Summer Salad Recipes
Have you tried this Caprese Salad Recipe? Leave a comment and rating below!
Caprese Salad Recipe
- 2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes sliced ¼" thick
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese sliced ¼" thick
- 8-9 basil leaves
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- On a serving dish, arrange the tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil leaves, alternating between the three ingredients.
- Drizzle the olive oil and balsamic vinegar overtop.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Enjoy fresh Caprese salad as soon as it’s made, for best results.
- To make it up to a day ahead, chill it in the refrigerator in a covered container in the refrigerator and drain any liquid off before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.