This Italian Sausage Soup recipe makes a comforting meal on those chilly fall and winter evenings.
It is a hearty and delicious soup that is made with fried sausage which is then cooked in a creamy broth. Simple spinach or any other vegetable add-ins add a splash of healthy color and flavor. A dash of red pepper flakes gives a spicy kick to this keto soup.
Italian Sausage Soup
© Easy Low Carb.com
PIN IT to your SOUPS Board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Easy Hearty Soup Recipe
- Sometimes sausage just needs a few extra ingredients to perk it up. A sausage soup is just the answer.
- This sausage soup is made with heavy cream, giving the soup a delicious, smooth texture.
- With no sugar and low carbs, this is a great keto soup.
Fresh & Delicious Ingredients
SAUSAGE: This recipe calls for a cooked Italian sausage. Choose a spicy or sweet sausage, depending on how spicy of a soup is desired and slice it into bite-sized pieces.
BROTH: Use a good store-bought chicken broth. Any homemade broth would also work with this soup simply adjust the salt content accordingly.
VEGETABLES: The only vegetable that is added to this soup is spinach (and onion and garlic). However, kale zucchini or cabbage can be used as a substitute for spinach.
How to Make Italian Sausage Soup
This one-pot meal is a simple fix:
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add sausage & the onions until cooked. Stir in garlic.
- Add chicken broth & pepper flakes.
- Toss in the spinach. Cook.
- Add the cream.
- Serve and enjoy!
Make Italian Sausage Soup in advance, it will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for at least 3-4 days. Reheat on the stovetop or the microwave for a quick meal.
This soup will freeze well and will keep in the freezer for 3 months. To thaw, remove from the freezer and let thaw in the refrigerator. It can be reheated on the stove.
Other Low Carb Italian Inspired Recipes!
- Keto Lasagna Zucchini Boats – so easy!
- Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups – delicious twist on lasagna.
- Keto Zuppa Toscana Soup – hearty and low carb!
- Keto Eggplant Lasagna – perfect to make ahead.
Italian Sausage Soup
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 12 oz fully cooked Italian-style sausage sliced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 cups baby spinach
- ½ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add sausage and onion, cook for 7 minutes or until the onion is soft and the sausage is browned. Add garlic and cook until fragrant about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth and red pepper flakes then bring to a boil. Cover saucepan, turn it down to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and cook until it is wilted - about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper.