Cheesy and creamy cauliflower au gratin is a hearty side dish that will fill out any meal while filling up lots of hungry tummies!
Roasted cauliflower florets are baked in a velvety cheese sauce made with oodles of cheddar and parmesan. Kids and adults alike will love the flavor-packed nutrition in this cheesy cauliflower bake. It’s easy to make, and full of low carb goodness!
Cheesy Low Carb Side!
- When you cook keto and gluten free recipes like this, more people at the table can enjoy them! It’s perfect for holidays when new friends show up with special dietary needs.
- Toss in some bacon crumbles or diced ham, and make it a meal. Cheesy cauliflower bake is a great home for bits of orphaned leftovers!
- Roasting brings out the sweet, robust flavors in cauliflower that are unusual to find in such a healthy vegetable. Some say it compares to lobster!
What’s in Cauliflower Au Gratin?
CAULIFLOWER: Look for fresh heads of cauliflower that are free of brown spots and blemishes. Break it into bite-sized florets of equal size, so it will bake evenly. You can even use most of the stem, except for the toughest part. Add in or substitute colorful broccoli or Brussels sprouts.
CHEESE: Cheddar is one of the best cheeses for sauces, and extra sharp will provide more flavor than mild or medium. Colby or gouda are also options. Consider using smoked cheeses, if you like that flavor. For the best flavor, use freshly grated parmesan – not from a shaker.
HEAVY CREAM: Keto means full fat, and that’s what carries the flavor in any dish! Alternatively, you could use full-fat sour cream for a more tart flavor.
ADD-INS: The beauty of cauliflower au gratin is that it’s so accommodating! Toss in leftover chicken, bacon, sausage, or ham. It will be even more delicious!
How to Make Cauliflower Au Gratin?
Follow these steps to make the best cheesy cauliflower bake ever!
- Break cauliflower into florets, toss with oil, and oven roast until crisp-tender (as per recipe below).
- Meanwhile, prepare the cheese sauce by heating heavy cream and melting in cheddar and parmesan.
- Place roasted cauliflower in a casserole dish and pour the cheese sauce over it.
- Top with more cheddar cheese and bake until golden brown and bubbling.
Cauliflower au gratin is a rich, substantial side dish that complements a hearty meat-and-gravy main dish like pork tenderloin with Dijon sauce, or balances out a lighter one such as air fryer chicken breasts.
Cauliflower au Gratin Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds cauliflower florets about 1 large head
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cup sharp white cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ salt or more to taste
- ⅛ pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss cauliflower florets with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread evenly on a baking sheet and roast 15-20 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and reduce temperature to 375°F.
- In a medium saucepan bring the heavy cream, garlic, salt, and pepper to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 2 minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and whisk in parmesan cheese and 1 cup of white cheddar cheese.
- Spread roast cauliflower in 2 quart casserole dish. Pour cheese sauce over the cauliflower and top with remaining white cheddar cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbling.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.