Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Caps are an easy, super tasty, low carb main dish! Ground beef, cheese, cauliflower and pasta sauce meld together with tender baked mushroom caps for a pure comfort food experience.
And if a healthy low carb, gluten free or keto way of eating is your goal, these low carb stuffed mushrooms are the perfect dish for you. Delicious served on a bed of homemade zoodles or with a side of cauliflower fried rice, roasted radishes or zucchini fries.
© Easy Low Carb.com
Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Caps
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
How to Clean Portobello Mushrooms
Since mushrooms are the base of this recipe, it's important to prep them properly to give you the best flavor possible.
Use a dampened, wrung out paper towel to wipe off any soil clinging to the surface. Cut off the stems and scoop out the dark gills and discard. Now you’re ready to get stuffing!
How to Stuff Mushrooms
Once the mushrooms have been prepared, the rest is easy!
- Brown beef with onion and garlic.
- Mix together all filling ingredients, as per the recipe below.
- Scoop the filling into each prepared mushroom cap, top with cheese and bake!
Can You Freeze Portobello Mushrooms?
Yes, they can be frozen which makes these stuffed mushroom caps the perfect make ahead meal or appetizer!
- Place them flat in a container or baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Once frozen, you can transfer them to a zippered freezer bag or stack in a container for easy storage.
- Be sure to label and date the bag for optimum freshness and use them up within 2-3 months.
- It is best to thaw these stuffed portobello mushroom caps in the fridge. Once thawed, you can reheat them in the microwave for a few minutes, or bake them in a preheated 350°F oven for 10 – 15 minutes.
Ground turkey, chicken or pork can serve as substitutes for the ground beef according to your preference.
If you don’t mind departing from the low carb theme, you can serve these Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Caps on brioche style hamburger buns with some shredded lettuce for a complete meal!
Or try this Classic Stuffed Mushrooms recipe!
- In a pan melt 5 tablespoons butter, add 1 – 2 minced garlic cloves and cook until softened.
- Stir in ¾ cup Italian style bread crumbs, and continue to stir until coated.
- Add ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese.
- Place mounds of the mixture on prepared mushroom caps and bake.
This tasty classic can be varied in so many ways.
Crab stuffed mushrooms – Add shredded canned crab meat or crab meat substitute to the classic recipe for a taste of the sea.
Bacon and mozzarella stuffed mushrooms – Crumbled cooked bacon stirred in the bread crumb mixture and a topping of melted mozzarella cheese makes for a no-fail crowd pleaser.
Sausage stuffed mushrooms – Give your stuffed mushrooms some zing with spicy cooked and crumbled sausage. Top with shredded extra sharp cheddar before baking.
More Delicious Recipes!
- Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups - healthy, low carb and keto!
- Eggplant Lasagna - easiest casserole dish to freeze!
- Low Carb Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce - quick and easy to prepare
- Easy Low Carb Spaghetti and Meatballs - ready in 40 mins!
- Easy Low Carb Chicken Parmesan - great served over a bed of zoodles
Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Caps
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups cauliflower riced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups low carb pasta sauce
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 oz parmesan cheese shredded
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese shredded
- fresh parsley & basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brown ground beef, onion and garlic until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Add riced cauliflower and Italian seasoning and cook an additional 5-7 minutes or until softened. Stir in pasta sauce.
- Meanwhile, remove the stems from the mushroom caps. Using a small spoon, scrape out the dark gills and discard.
- Divide the meat mixture over the mushrooms. Top with cheeses and bake 25-30 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.