This stuffed portobello mushroom recipe is low-carb comfort food that’s ready in minutes!
Portobellos are delicious stuffed full of seasoned ground beef and cauliflower rice cooked in tomato sauce and covered in melted cheese.
This recipe is perfect for so many different diet plans and delicious as an appetizer or main dish.
Savory Stuffed Portobellos
- Ground beef stuffed portobello mushrooms are gluten-free & keto.
- Perfect as an appetizer or main dish!
- This quick and easy savory meal comes together in just a few steps!
- Cook healthy portobello stuffed mushrooms for a meatless vegetarian dish using cauliflower stuffing or quinoa.
Ingredients and Variations
Mushrooms – Portobellos should be intact without any soft spots. Regular button or baby bellas (creminis) can be used if portobellos aren’t available or you want to make appetizers.
Meat – Besides ground beef, try ground chicken or pork sausage, tofu, or even crab meat. This is a great recipe for using up small portions of leftover meat and veggies as well!
Portobello Prep Tips
- Mushrooms soak up water easily so it’s best they are cleaned by wiping away any debris with a clean paper towel.
- Use a spoon to gently scrape away the gills (add the stem and gills to the meat mixture, if desired) and set aside until ready to use.
How to Make Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
Meat stuffed portobello mushrooms will be a go-to favorite all year round!
- Cook beef, onion, and garlic until no pink remains, and drain any fat. (Chop up ground beef while it cooks.)
- Add cauliflower rice and seasoning and cook for 5-7 minutes. Pour in pasta sauce.
- Prepare mushrooms as directed in the recipe below.
- Divide the meat mixture between the mushroom caps and top with cheese. Bake until the mushrooms are tender.
Serving and Storing Stuffed Portobellos
Cook up a batch of stuffed portobellos and once cooled, cover them with plastic wrap on a baking sheet to freeze. Transfer them to a zippered bag once frozen and thaw in the refrigerator before cooking or reheating. Reheat in the microwave for a few minutes, or bake them in a preheated 350°F oven for 10 – 15 minutes.
Have you tried this Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Recipe? Leave a comment and rating below!
Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups cauliflower riced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups low carb pasta sauce
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese shredded
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded
- fresh parsley & basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook ground beef, onion and garlic until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Add riced cauliflower and Italian seasoning. Cook 5-7 minutes more or until softened. Stir in pasta sauce.
- Meanwhile, remove the stems from the mushroom caps. Using a small spoon, scrape out the dark gills and discard.
- Divide the meat mixture over the mushrooms. Top with cheeses and bake 25-30 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- It is best to clean mushrooms by wiping away any debris with a clean paper towel.
- Gently scrape away the gills from the underside of the mushroom with a spoon.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.