Keto green bean casserole is a classic holiday side dish.
This simple casserole is made with green beans baked into a thick and creamy, savory mushroom sauce. Stick to the recipe or top it with keto favorites like crushed pork rinds or crushed salted almonds. Or reach for some extra shredded cheese to mix with the keto bread cubes for a tasty treat everyone will love!
Best Low Carb Side for the Holidays!
- This recipe for keto green bean casserole can be served all year long! It’s a hearty side dish.
- Keto is all about healthy fats and fat means flavor! Use full-fat heavy cream and cream cheese in this recipe for the best results.
- Assemble up to 2 days ahead and bake just in time for company! Or take it along to a party or potluck as a hearty side dish!
Ingredients And Variations
GREEN BEANS: Green beans can be fresh or frozen. For either, always blanch them in a pot of boiling water with some baking soda to preserve their bright green color. Canned green beans can be used, however, drain and rinse them, and remember they won’t be as firm as fresh or frozen.
BACON: This recipe can be made with bacon, diced ham, or thinly sliced summer sausage.
SAUCE: Heavy cream, cream cheese, and chicken or turkey broth are the keys to a rich and velvety sauce for green beans as well as great flavor. A dollop or two of sour cream or Greek yogurt adds a tart flavor and makes the sauce a little thinner if desired. In a pinch for time? Use a can of cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, or cream of celery soup instead. Or make this homemade cream of mushroom soup recipe.
ADD-INS: Low-carb veggies like mushrooms add visual contrast and an earthy flavor. Consider other veggies like shaved brussels sprouts and sliced zucchini. Top with keto bread cubes, bacon crumbles, crushed pork rinds, cheese, or this tasty keto stuffing.
How To Make Keto Green Bean Casserole
- Prep bacon (as per the recipe below).
- Cook bacon, remove from pan, and drain on paper towels.
- Saute onion in bacon grease until softened.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, pepper, salt, and sage (if using), and cook until the mushrooms are tender.
- Stir in cream, cream cheese, and chicken broth. Whisk until smooth. Simmer until thickened.
- Remove sauce from heat and add parmesan cheese and green beans.
- Transfer green bean mixture to a casserole dish and bake until bubbly. Garnish with bacon crumbles.
Tips & Tricks
- Keep leftover keto green bean casserole covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freeze leftover portions in freezer-safe containers or ziptop bags for up to 2 months, and thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Reheat leftovers and thawed portions on the stove. If assembling in advance, remove from the refrigerator while the oven is preheating and add an extra 10 minutes to the cooking time.
- Let cream cheese come to room temperature before adding in Step 5, so it’s easier to blend.
- Serve keto green bean casserole alongside a hearty butterflied chicken, a keto pork loin, or some salmon filets. Add a colorful cherry tomato salad and dinner is served!
Other Simple Sides!
- Twice Baked Cauliflower Casserole – an easy recipe
- Roasted Green Beans – simple and delish!
- Cauliflower Stuffing – perfect for the holidays, or any day
- Sautéed Asparagus and Mushrooms – flavorful
Keto Green Bean Casserole
- 1 pound green beans frozen or fresh, cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 slices raw bacon* diced
- ½ small onion finely diced
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms sliced, about 4 ounces
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon ground sage
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 slice keto bread made into crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- If making optional topping, blend keto bread in a food processor until it becomes crumbs. Mix with melted butter. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Add ½ teaspoon baking soda*(see note) to a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cut beans in half and simmer 5-6 minutes or until tender-crisp. Drain well.
- Cook bacon in a medium skillet until crisp. Place bacon on paper towels to drain leaving the grease in the pan. Add the onion and cook in the bacon grease until until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, pepper, salt and sage. Cook until mushrooms have released their juices and are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the cream, cream cheese, and chicken broth and whisk until melted. Simmer over medium low heat 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese. Stir in drained green beans.
- Place in a 2-quart baking dish and top with breadcrumb topping, if using. Bake 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Garnish with bacon.
- *Butter or bacon fat can be used in place of bacon. This casserole can be assembled and refrigerated up to 48 hours ahead of time.
- *Baking soda is optional but will keep green vegetables like beans and broccoli bright green after cooking. It doesn't change the taste if used in small amounts.
- If assembled ahead of time, remove from the fridge while the oven preheats and add an additional 10 minutes of cooking time.