With this tuna cakes recipe, you can have lunch ready in no time!
These delicate and flavorful patties are a simple addition to the lunch menu. Made with low-carb and healthy ingredients like tuna, almond flour, and seasonings these patties are so easy to make. Since they need to chill before cooking they are perfect to make ahead as well, making lunchtime a breeze!
Best Tuna Patty Recipe!
- Turn that simple can of tuna into fish cakes that even the kids will love.
- Fish, like tuna, is packed full of healthy omega-3s, potassium, zinc, and manganese.
- It is so easy to adjust the seasoning for this recipe, to make a tuna patty that has a slightly spicy kick to it.
Ingredients And Variations
TUNA: Oil-packed or water-canned tuna will both work with this recipe. Canned boneless and skinless salmon would also be a good replacement. Remember to squeeze the tuna dry before mixing it with other ingredients.
FLOUR: Almond flour mixed with the egg helps bind the patties together. Crushed pork rinds can be used as a substitute for almond flour. Add more as needed to help the patties bind together.
SEASONING: Parsley, lemon juice, dill, and lemon pepper seasoning make these patties flavorful and delicious, although it is so easy to adjust the seasoning. Add some sriracha sauce or other seasonings like Italian seasoning, homemade fajita seasoning, or southwest seasoning.
How To Make Tuna Patties
This recipe for tuna cakes is so quick and easy to make.
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl.
- Divide the mixture into patties (as per the recipe below).
- Refrigerate and then cook the patties in a frying pan.
These patties are the best served for lunch. They can be stuffed into lettuce wraps and low-carb tortillas. Add some cheese, pickles, and slices of tomato.
Serve alongside a salad like cauliflower potato salad, or a cherry tomato salad. They can also be served as an extra dish with dinner or as an appetizer. Drizzle them with a low-carb ranch dressing & dip or a dill veggie dip.
Tips & Tricks!
There are a couple of tips and tricks that will make these patties a success.
- Remember that these are delicate patties, so treat them with care.
- Squeeze the tuna dry before mixing it with the other ingredients.
- If the patties still seem a little ‘wet’ after adding the almond flour, then add another tablespoon.
- Don’t skip the step of refrigeration. This helps the patties bind together.
Follow these simple tips and you’ll have perfected your tuna cakes in no time!
Salads to Serve with Tuna Cakes
- Cherry Tomato Salad – tangy and bright!
- Cucumber & Onion Salad – a simple favorite.
- Dill Pickle Salad With Cauliflower – something different-
- Low Carb (keto) Caesar Salad – never fails to please!
Tuna Cakes Recipe
- 10 ounces canned tuna well drained
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon red onion chopped fine, more to taste if desired
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh parsley minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dried dill weed or 2 teaspoons fresh dill
- ¾ teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning or to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons almond flour or as needed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- fresh lemon for serving optional
- Combine all ingredients except oil in a bowl and mix well. Add enough almond flour so that the cakes hold together.
- Divide the tuna mixture in half. Gently pat to form 4 patties, about 3-inches across. Press together well so they do not fall apart.
- Refrigerate patties for 15 minutes before cooking.
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties for about 5 minutes per side or until golden brown on both sides.
REPIN this Easy Recipe!