With this simple recipe for how to bake pumpkin seeds, it will be easy to make a healthy and flavorful snack.
Whether a pumpkin is being carved for Halloween festivities, or hollowed out for a pumpkin pie filling, don’t let the pumpkin seeds go to waste. They are healthy, nutritious, and delicious!
A short roast in the oven, and a little oil, and these seeds are ready for enjoying!
Baked Pumpkin Seeds
- Healthy! Filled with magnesium and protein fresh pumpkin seeds are a nutritious snack.
- Super easy! There is no need to shell the pumpkin seeds. Simply toss with the oil, salt, and pepper, and bake in the oven.
- Flavor options! Simply season with salt and pepper, or make them sweet by adding some sugar, and cinnamon. Try a savory version with garlic herb seasoning, or spicy with a blackening seasoning.
Ingredients & Variations
Pumpkin Seeds – The best seeds for this recipe are those straight out of a fresh pumpkin. Scoop them out and rinse off the excess pumpkin pulp and fibers. Choose pumpkins that are larger. Tap the pumpkin. If it sounds hollow, this means that there is more room in the pumpkin cavity for seeds!
Variations – Baked pumpkin seeds are so versatile. Add some cinnamon and sugar substitute like Swerve for sweet seeds, a brown sugar substitute will caramelize the seeds. Cumin, ginger, and cayenne pepper are also great ways to spice up these healthy seeds. The addition of low carb syrup, nutmeg, butter, and cinnamon is also a healthy and sweet way to enjoy them.
How to Bake Pumpkin Seeds
- Preheat the oven.
- Remove the seeds from the pumpkin and rinse off the pulp and pumpkin fibers. Pat dry.
- Toss the seeds with oil, and salt. Bake (as per the recipe below).
Pumpkin seeds are best stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer. In the refrigerator, they will keep for 6 months. They will keep fresh for a year in the freezer. Before storing, however, make sure that they are completely cooled off, so no moisture collects in the container.
Have you tried this Baked Pumpkin Seeds recipe? Leave a comment and rating below!
Baked Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt or to taste
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Use parchment to line a baking sheet.
- Rinse pumpkin seeds well to remove any remaining pulp. Pat dry.
- Toss pumpkin seeds with olive oil and salt.
- Place seeds on the baking tray and bake for 15 minutes. Stir and bake an additional 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool completely.
- For sweet seeds, add cinnamon and low carb sugar. A brown sugar substitute like Swerve will caramelize the seeds. Try adding nutmeg, butter, and even some pumpkin spice!
- Cumin, ginger, and cayenne pepper will make a spicy snack.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.