Bring a head of romaine lettuce to a whole new level of flavor with this grilled romaine recipe.
Cook fresh romaine lettuce on the grill to charred smoky perfection, then drizzle it with a light dressing, and sprinkle it with parmesan cheese and capers!
This is the perfect addition to the summer grilling menu.
- Slightly charred on the grill, romaine hearts turn into the best flavorful greens that can’t be beat!
- A delicious tart dressing, a sprinkling of parmesan cheese, and some capers make this salad a sure hit at the BBQ.
- Varied cooking methods! No grill, no problem. Broil these slightly in the oven for just a few minutes.
Grilled Romaine Ingredients
Lettuce – Choose firm romaine heads that aren’t wilted and without brown spots. Other types of lettuce will not hold up to the heat of the BBQ. Remember to spray the heads with a little oil before grilling.
Dressing – Some creamy mayo, Dijon, Worcestershire sauce, and some anchovy paste are what bring this easy caesar inspired dressing together. Mix the dressing with a whisk to ensure a uniform dressing. Dress this up with some keto thousand island dressing, a balsamic vinaigrette, or blue cheese dressing.
How To Make Grilled Romaine Salad
- Combine all the dressing ingredients (as per the recipe below).
- Cut the romaine in half, and spray with oil. Season, then cook on the grill.
- Remove from the grill, drizzle with dressing, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and capers.
How to Serve and Store Grilled Romaine
Grilled romaine tastes great garnished with extra parmesan cheese and crispy capers.
- Don’t overcook the romaine hearts. They should just be lightly seared for about 2-3 minutes.
- Cut the romaine hears lengthwise in half.
- Leave stems on so they don’t fall apart while cooking but they can be sliced off before serving.
- Remember to place them cut-side-down on the grill.
Have you tried this Grilled Romaine recipe? Leave a comment and rating below!
Grilled Romaine Salad
- 2 romaine hearts
- olive oil spray
- ¼ cup fresh Parmesan cheese
- fried capers*
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- In a small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients. Mix well.
- Preheat the grill to high heat.
- While the grill is heating, cut each romaine heart in half lengthwise. Lightly spray the cut side with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the romaine on the grill cut side down, and cook 2-3 minutes or just until lightly seared.
- Arrange the romaine cut side up on a serving plate. Drizzle the dressing overtop followed by the Parmesan cheese and crispy capers.
- *Drain capers and fry them in oil on medium-high in a saucepan until crispy and golden brown. Drain on a paper towel.
- Romain hearts should just be lightly seared for no more than 2-3 minutes. Don’t overcook.
- Cut the romaine hearts in half lengthwise and place on the grill cut side down.
- Leave stems on during cooking to keep them intact.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©Easy Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.