In this low carb Fathead Pizza Crust, the secret ingredient is extra cheese!
Fathead pizza dough has revolutionized carb free and keto recipe collections everywhere. Now anyone can enjoy delicious cheesy pizza without flour. Simple ingredients are used to create a tasty dough with yeast that’s super easy to make and bake. Enjoy it with assorted toppings and sauce.
Fathead Pizza Crust
PIN IT to your MAIN DISHES board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
What is Fathead Pizza?
- Fathead pizza is a favorite on the keto diet plan and for good reason. With a texture that is similar to traditional pizza dough, it’s just as tasty, or maybe even better.
- It really wins in the flavor department, too, with a cheesy crust that is simply to die for.
- It’s keto, low carb, and even gluten free (provided all ingredients used are gluten-free, and there is zero cross-contamination, of course.)
Ingredients & Variations
CHEESE Mozzarella cheese melts into cream cheese as the base for the dough. For best results, shred a block of cheese by hand. Pre-shredded varieties have additives that make it harder for the cheese to melt.
FLOUR This recipe calls for almond flour, but coconut flour can be used. It’s not a 1:1 ratio, however. About a third of the amount of coconut flour is needed. Use more cheese if necessary and be sure the texture is firm and moldable.
YEAST Instant yeast gives the dough a bread-like consistency. That’s what makes this recipe so great, especially for those who crave that chewy texture!
How To Make Fathead Pizza Crust
- Melt cheeses in the microwave.
- Stir in dry ingredients, then add the egg. Form into a ball.
- Roll out dough, place on pizza pan and bake (as per recipe below)
Toppings For Fathead Pizza
For toppings, the sky’s the limit. Why not try a different variety of cheese on top, like Muenster, cheddar, or a mix of Monterey Jack and Provolone? Feta cheese with basil, roasted tomatoes, and a drizzle of olive oil is the best on a Greek pizza. Or try one with Slow Cooker Chicken Spaghetti Sauce or even Easy Low Carb Meat Sauce. Pepperoni or other cured meats are delish or try some roasted red peppers, spinach & mushrooms for nutrition, and bleu cheese crumbles—it’s a vegetarian delight.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- If the dough is too sticky, add extra almond flour until it firms up, mixing thoroughly by hand until fully incorporated.
- Sometimes the cheese doesn’t incorporate with the cream cheese correctly, especially if using pre-shredded varieties. Simply use an electric mixer and beat until smooth.
Can You Freeze Fathead Pizza Crust?
Absolutely! Roll the dough out between parchment (as per recipe below) then freeze between the layers in an airtight container. Bake from frozen for about 7-10 minutes, add toppings and continue baking until golden brown. Or defrost it in the refrigerator overnight, and bake as usual.
Other Easy Pizza Recipes To Try!
- Low Carb Cauliflower Pizza Crust – just 20 minutes prep.
- Portobello Mushroom Pizza Recipe – the mushroom is the crust!
- Zucchini Pizza Bites – easy snack or appetizer.
- Keto Breakfast Pizza – for a quick breakfast.
- Pizza Bowl Recipe – pizza flavors in a bowl!
Fathead Pizza Crust
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 Tablespoon instant yeast
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine the mozzarella and cream cheese. Microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring in between until smooth.
- Stir in almond flour, salt, yeast, and garlic powder.
- Add beaten egg to the bowl and knead it into a ball, using your hands or a spatula.
- Place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll into a circle about ⅛" thick. Keeping dough between parchment, transfer to a baking sheet, then remove the top layer of parchment.
- Prick dough several times with a fork, then bake for 7 minutes or until dough is golden brown on the bottom and edges.
- Top with pizza toppings of choice.
- Bake pizza for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.