Braised Steak and Mushrooms make for a hearty meal that satisfies even the biggest appetites while staying deliciously keto!
This steak and mushroom recipe is deceptively easy to make, too! Sirloin steaks come out tender and juicy when they’re sautéed and then braised in a simple sauce. Serve with Lemon Roasted Cauliflower, Oven Roasted Radishes, and a side Greek Salad.
Braised Steak and Mushrooms
PIN IT to your MAIN DISHES board for later!
Follow Easy Low Carb on Pinterest for More Great Low Carb Ideas!
Steak and Mushroom Recipe
- Easy low carb also means easy to prepare. Use just one pot or a cast-iron skillet and finish in the oven for a quick dinner that’s on the table in minutes!
- Make an easy Shepherd’s Pie by placing chopped cooked steak and mushrooms plus other low carb veggies in an oven-safe skillet, then top with Mashed Cauliflower with Cream Cheese. Bake until the top is golden brown.
- For the non-keto eaters, top braised steak and mushrooms over cooked egg noodles or regular mashed potatoes.
- Short on time? Make a quick sauce by adding a can of mushroom soup to the recipe.
To Braise or Not to Braise?
Braising is a great way to infuse tougher cuts of meat with savory broths and herbs so the meat comes out tender and juicy. Braising is an easy cooking method to master, especially for budget-conscious families or if cooking for a crowd.
How to Make Braised Steak and Mushrooms
This delish meal doesn’t require a lot of effort to make:
- Brown steaks and saute vegetables.
- Add specified ingredients to pan, cover and bake (as per the recipe below).
- Remove steaks and veggies, thicken sauce with cornstarch mixture.
- Add everything back to the pan and serve!
Delicious Steak Tips & Tricks
- Braising cuts of beef like rounds, cubes, or sirloins is one of the easiest ways to prepare these otherwise tougher cuts. Once the outside is seared, the braising liquid (broth, stock, even a dash of wine) and seasonings can slowly cook into the meat, guaranteeing a juicy result every time.
- For nearly all methods of cooking beef, it’s a good idea to bring the meat to room temp before cooking. This allows the meat to relax and helps any seasonings adhere. Also, allow meat to rest after cooking, before slicing.
- Make a super easy slurry by adding a 1:1 ratio of cornstarch to cold water and shake vigorously in a mason jar.
- If the sauce is too thin, whisk in some heavy cream.
Reheat leftover braised steak and mushrooms in a skillet on the stove, adding a little cream to thin out the sauce. Serve leftovers over Cauliflower Fried Rice or make a hearty soup by chopping the steak and adding extra broth, frozen vegetables, and seasonings. Or simply add steak and mushrooms to Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto.
Other Great Beef Recipes
- Easy Beef Stir Fry – 30 minute dinner!
- Beef Rouladen – delicious and different.
- Beef Soup with Radishes – low carb favorite!
- Low Carb Taco Casserole – quick weeknight meal idea.
- Low Carb Beef Stroganoff – a classic one pot dish.
Braised Steak and Mushrooms
- 2 lbs round steak
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 ¼ cups beef broth low sodium
- ½ tsp thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsps cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Using a meat mallet, pound meat to ½ inch thickness then season with salt & pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat in a dutch oven. Brown steaks on each side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add mushrooms, onions, and 1 tablespoon butter. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add steaks back to the pan. Combine remaining ingredients, except for cornstarch, and pour over steaks. Cover and bake for 2 ½-3 hours or until steaks are fork-tender.
- Remove steaks from the liquid and set aside. Whisk together cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water until smooth. Bring cooking liquid to a boil and add cornstarch mixture slowly while whisking continuously, until desired thickness.